History of the Quilt 4

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

These descriptions for the quilt blocks were written in 1976 by the Bicentennial Club of the McFarlin School under the direction of Ms. Janice Carragher and Ms. Virginia Blouin. They were assisted by sixth grade students Terry Cryts, Sirry Karlsson, Melissa Micol, Susan Burns, Judy Fahey, and Kim McBride in 1976.go to Quilt

Return to picture of quilt


  School for the Deaf

School for the Deaf

In 1865, Miss Harriett Burbank Rogers founded the first oral school for deaf children in the Deacon Otis Adams House on Academy Street. Here five pupils were instructed in "articulation and reading from the lips."go to Quilt


 
Susan McFarlin's classroom

Susan McFarlin's classroom

Susan McFarlin taught the youth of Chelmsford for almost half a century at the old yellow school house in the Center, where the fire house now stands.go to Quilt


 
Russell Mill

Russell Mill

In 1656, the first saw mill in Chelmsford was locate at what is now known as Russell Mill Pond by Samuel Adams and maintained by five successive generations of his family.go to Quilt


 
Pulpit Rock

Pulpit Rock

Rev. John Parkhurst, a minister in Chelmsford in the early 1800's used to practice his sermons at Pulpit Rock on Robin Hill.go to Quilt


 
Chelmsford Ginger Ale

Chelmsford Ginger Ale

In 1901, the Chelmsford Spring Co. was established in the Center for the manufacture of ginger ale and other beverages. The plant was purchased by Canada Dry in 1928.go to Quilt


 
Forefathers Cemetery

Forefathers' Cemetery

Contains the graves of many o the earliest settlers of Chelmsford and the graves of forty-five Revolutionary War soldiers.go to Quilt


Go to picture of quilt
Next Page