History of the Quilt 6
| 2 | 3
| 4 | 5
These descriptions for the quilt blocks were written in 1976 by the Bicentennial
Club of the McFarlin School under the direction of Ms. Janice Carragher
and Ms. Virginia Blouin. They were assisted by sixth grade students Terry
Cryts, Sirry Karlsson, Melissa Micol, Susan Burns, Judy Fahey, and Kim
McBride in 1976.
Return to picture of quilt
Was cultivated for its aromatic odor, its medicinal roots, and for its
stalks, which were candied and eaten.
The blacksmith and his forge were essential in a farming community for
the tools he fashioned as well as shoeing of horses.
Is the historic marker in Chelmsford Center, commemorating the original
settlement of the town in 1653.
Minutemen and British Prisoners
Chelmsford was selected to quarter prisoners of war during the Revolution
because it was far enough away from the battle lines.
A hairy-leaved herb, was used medicinally and in salads.
Perham Cider Mill
Was located on Westford Street from 1835 until it was destroyed by the
construction of Route 495. Local apple growers brought their product for
processing into cider and vinegar for S.S. Pierce.
Was constructed between 1683 and 1690. During the threat of Indian attack,
the house served as a garrison for soldiers.
A popular "resort" located at the top of Robin Hill, was opened in 1886,
by Walter S. Simonds. Its pleasant view and tasty treats made it a popular
destination for summer carriage drives during the 1890's.
Is the symbol for the commemoration of the 200th anniversary of America's
Declaration of Independence.
Southwell Combing Mills
Along with its predecessors in North Chelmsford have been one of the
town's major industries since the 19th century.