Bibliobites is a book group with a culinary focus. We read a combination of cookbooks, culinary memoirs and Foodie fiction. We often pick a theme for a meeting and encourage members to try recipes related to the theme. We do not discourage members from bringing those recipes in for us to try! Bibliobites meetings are open to everyone, and meet the last Friday of the month at 11 am.
Previous Bibliobites Discussions
- Bibliobites in February: Pie: It’s What’s For Dinner (3/6/2017) - Do you, like author Ken Haedrich, have a “lust for crust”? As our Bibliobites group discovered through this month’s title, pie crust (and its cousins) isn’t just for dessert anymore– it’s for pot pies, galettes, quiches, strudels, handpies, and tarts. Many of these dishes are familiar cold-weather favorites, but this book introduces some variations we’d … Continue reading Bibliobites in February: Pie: It’s What’s For Dinner
- Bibliobites in January: Just Say “Non!” (2/16/2017) - French cooking has (despite Julia Child’s efforts) a reputation for being complicated, fussy, and maybe a bit pretentious. It’s a cuisine famed for its reliance on butter, cream, and rich sauces. Traditionally it’s a meat-centric cuisine as well, with vegetables being little more than an afterthought. Well-known food blogger Clotilde Dusoulier, author of the January … Continue reading Bibliobites in January: Just Say “Non!”
- Qu’est-ce que c’est? (1/23/2017) - Every year in January, after the rush of the holidays is over and we settle into some real winter, I spend a day making cassoulet. This iconic French dish is a hearty casserole of meat, beans, and some token vegetables, cooked with wine and tomatoes and topped with buttery croutons. It’s the perfect antidote to … Continue reading Qu’est-ce que c’est?
- I’ve Never Been to Italy….. (1/4/2017) - …..but I have been to Eataly! This gastronomic temple of all things Italian opened in Boston two weeks ago. It’s the newest outpost of this global enterprise, and one of only four in the US. I’d been to Eataly in Manhattan and was excited to check out our local store, located in the Prudential Center. … Continue reading I’ve Never Been to Italy…..
- Bibliobites in December: Baker’s Dozen (12/15/2016) - Our combined November/December Bibliobites meeting on December 2nd covered numerous topics, in addition to discussing this month’s titles. Something about the subject of cookies, and taste-testing brownies (more on that in a moment!) seemed to bring out lots of opinions about baking, cookbooks, and more. It was a lively and enjoyable discussion! Our first order … Continue reading Bibliobites in December: Baker’s Dozen
- Bibliobites in October: We’ll Drink to That? (11/8/2016) - When you enjoy a glass of wine with your dinner, do you ever ponder its provenance? When you uncap a cold beer on a hot summer day, have you ever wondered how brewing got started? Many of us can’t imagine a day without that trio of caffeinated drinks: coffee, tea, and Coke; but where and … Continue reading Bibliobites in October: We’ll Drink to That?