|Book Groups Exhibits Programs / Events|
Kevin Gardner: Discovering New England
Along the way, Kevin occupies himself building a miniature wall or walls on a tabletop, using tiny stones from a five-gallon bucket. He often brings along his collection of books about stonework, and copies of The Granite Kiss will be available for sale.
Since the publication of The Granite Kiss, Kevin has presented his program at dozens of historical societies, bookstores, and town libraries all over New England, including Canterbury Shaker Village, the NH Historical Society, Castle-in-the-Clouds, Old Sturbridge Village, Boston's Arnold Arboretum, and many, many more.
Kevin Gardner is a writer, teacher, tradesman, and a lifelong resident of Hopkinton, NH. For nearly forty years he has been a stone wall builder in a family business widely known for traditional New England stonework, particularly for historic restoration of antique structures. In 2001, Kevin published The Granite Kiss: Traditions and Techniques of Building New England Stone Walls. In addition to The Granite Kiss, he has published poetry, songs, and essays, including “Radical Resilience: American Families from 1850-2001” (with Brenda Foley), which appeared in the anthology No Higher Calling, and “Land of Stone”, an examination of several historic sites in the Monadnock Region, in the 2006 anthology Where The Mountain Stands Alone.
From 1985 to 2010, Kevin was also a performance
critic, feature writer, and producer for NH Public Radio. His pieces on
arts, history and culture aired on National Public Radio and the Christian
Science Monitor broadcast network, and he was a two-time winner of the
NH Association of Broadcaster’s Golden Mic Award for feature writing.
In 2004, Kevin was a co-host (with Laura Knoy) of the nationally syndicated
radio series Storylines New England, an interview and call-in program
about our regional literature. He’s been a Guest Host of Ms. Knoy’s
morning call-in show, The Exchange, and has written and produced other
special programming for NHPR.
©2006 Chelmsford Public Library