Consumer Information Resources
Listed first are the resources provided by the Chelmsford Public Library for its patrons, and at the bottom of the page are additional suggested resources that are freely-available on the internet.
Resources Available from the CPL
|Boston Consumers' Checkbook
Access: [ In Library ]
This nonprofit website rates local service firms and provides unbiased consumer rating and information on local auto repair shops, home repair services, health care providers, and more.
Print Materials Available At The CPL
Books & Other Materials
- Consumer Reports Magazine - Current issues are available to check out in the Periodicals Room on the upper level, and current and older issues are in the Reference area
- Boston Consumers' Checkbook - Current and older issues are in the Reference area
Other Suggested Resources
MVLC's Internet Consumer Resources Guide - Consumer resource websites collected and maintained by the staff of the MVLC.
- Consumer.gov - A consumer-driven organization that collects and distributes detailed customer satisfaction reports on local businesses in more than 150 categories.
- Consumer Protection, from the FTC - Consumer Protection is the online service of the Office of Consumer and Business Education of the Bureau of Consumer Protection. It offers the full text of consumer publications on a wide range of categories.
- Federal Consumer Information Center - Answers to your questions about the Federal government and common consumer issues. The citizen's help desk for everyday life.
- Angie's List - A consumer-driven organization that collects and distributes detailed customer satisfaction reports on local businesses in more than 150 categories.
- Better Business Bureau - Nation-wide organization that voluntarily tracks in a fair way the conduct of businesses, service providers and charities, and provides an online search tool for looking up an organization's record.
- ConsumerSearch.com - Reviews hundreds of product reviews, analyzes them, distills the information shoppers need and recommends which products are the best.
- Consumerworld.com - Consumer World has gathered over 1100 of the most useful consumer resources on the Internet.
- Froogle - Google's comparative shopping service searches the web to find the best price on many different items.
- Internet Public Library - A listing of Consumer-related web resources compiled by the staff of the Internet Public Library.
Computers, Electronics & Technology
- CarTalk.com - Information on buying, selling, fixing and maintaining cars, as well as other information, from the hosts of National Public Radio's "Car Talk" show.
- Edmunds.com - Car buying guide lists new car prices, used car prices, car comparisons, car buying advice, car ratings, car values, auto leasing.
- Kelley Blue Book - New & used car prices and values.
- N.A.D.A. Pricing Guides - Pricing new autos and trucks, car reviews and free car quotes from local dealers.
- CNET.com - Provides reviews, news, and prices on tech products, as well as free downloads and newsletters.
- DPReview.com - Digital Photography Review: All the latest digital camera reviews and digital imaging news. Lively discussion forums. Vast samples galleries and the largest database of digital camera specifications.