The entire MVLC catalog will be getting a new look starting Monday, October 1st. Chelmsford has been testing it for the last few weeks, so you may have already seen it, and maybe even suggested ways to make it better.
The new catalog will be an improvement over the previous catalog. One very noticeable thing should be an improvement in the speed of the catalog, and also fewer “empty pages” (when all you see is a blank page and have to reload it).
Many new features will be introduced, including:
- A cleaner, easier-to-navigate interface
- The ability to view item details (call number, availability status, etc) on the search results screen by clicking on the “Show More Details” button
- The ability to configure which e-mail notifications you wish to receive from your library
- Text messaging will be available for holds notification, and to quickly send a call number to your phone (instead of writing it on scrap paper)
- You can set a preferred “Pickup Location” for requested materials for your patron account
- You can choose to record your check out and holds history in your patron account
- Enhanced functionality to bookbags (no called My Lists)
- You can choose to stay logged into the catalog when logging in from home, instead of getting kicked out after a little while
- More information on using these new features is also available
We’ve had a lot of great feedback so far from patrons who’ve tested the new catalog, so we’re excited to launch the new design and features. If you notice any glitches after Monday, or have any questions whatsoever, please contact the Reference Desk.