Bibliobites is a book group with a culinary focus. We read a combination of cookbooks, culinary memoirs and Foodie fiction. We often pick a theme for a meeting and encourage members to try recipes related to the theme. We do not discourage members from bringing those recipes in for us to try! Bibliobites meetings are open to everyone, and meet the last Friday of the month at 11 am.
- Sign up for email announcements and reminders about this group
- Sign up to receive our blog post meeting recaps by email
Previous Bibliobites Discussions
- Bibliobites in January: Stirring the Plots, Part 1 (2/19/2020) - The curse and the blessing of memory is just that: sometimes we remember things we’d rather forget, and we forget things we’d rather remember. This paradox makes the memoir format an imperfect one, yet it can give us a completely clear picture of someone at a particular point in their lives, or in a particular … Continue reading Bibliobites in January: Stirring the Plots, Part 1
- Bibliobites in December: The Pursuit of Happiness (1/22/2020) - Prolific author and baking guru Maida* Heatter is known as the “Queen of Cake.” No one did more over the last quarter of the 20th century to up our dessert game, for once we’d tried her classic buttery and chocolatey delights, there was no going back. A self-trained baker with a no-nonsense, perfectionist approach, her … Continue reading Bibliobites in December: The Pursuit of Happiness
- Bibliobites: Into the Woods (12/12/2019) - Anyone who remembers the 1970s will recall how food co-ops and “health food” restaurants popped up everywhere, seemingly overnight. Suddenly vegetables and whole grains assumed a greater importance than they had ever had on American tables; and though being a vegetarian was still seen as a fringe choice, attitudes slowly started to shift. Many first … Continue reading Bibliobites: Into the Woods
- Recap of Bibliobites in September: Profound, Profane– Bourdain! (10/17/2019) - After a summer off, we met on a sunny September morning to dish (pun intended) about one of the food world’s most unique characters and its archetypal bad boy: Anthony Bourdain. In the New York City restaurant world of the 1990s, Bourdain was undoubtedly well-known; but his 2000 memoir, Kitchen Confidential, brought him national fame. … Continue reading Recap of Bibliobites in September: Profound, Profane– Bourdain!
- Annual Apple Pie Contest: Nov. 3rd, 2019 (10/15/2019) - The leaves have turned, the smell of woodsmoke is in the air, and there’s a pleasant chill in the evening. It all means that it’s time for pie! The Annual Apple Pie Contest was held on Sunday, November 3rd, from 1 – 4 PM! 15 beautiful pies were submitted and the competition was stiff. Thank … Continue reading Annual Apple Pie Contest: Nov. 3rd, 2019
- Bibliobites in April: Game On! Dinner, Part 1 (5/15/2019) - Even for those of us who enjoy cooking, making dinner every night can be a bit of a slog. You want to eat something interesting– but nothing too complicated because it’s a weeknight. And the recipe better use ingredients you already have in the house, because who in their right mind would go to a … Continue reading Bibliobites in April: Game On! Dinner, Part 1