Since 1960, ethnic and racial statistics show a decrease in the number of caucasian people and an increase in those identifying as Black, Hispanic/Latinx, Asian and multiracial. Projections expect that this trend will continue through 2060.
Chelmsford has also enjoyed an increase in diversity since 2010, and is working to better support this growth within the community. On Juneteenth, Friday, June 19, 2020, Chelmsford community members called for educational reform in Chelmsford Public Schools. They asked the district to advocate for and better support Black, Indigenous, & People of Color; to adjust its curriculum; and to open discussions about racism and anti-racism in the classroom.
A diverse community is something to be celebrated. However, in recent years animosity between people of different racial or ethnic identity has increased, and institutional racism should continue to be addressed by all those who share community.
Learn More Online
- Avvo Legal: Learn more about your right to assemble and get legal questions answered about protesting injustice.
- Black Perspectives: The leading online platform for public scholarship on global Black thought, history, and culture. Daily content, from a roster of more than 50 regular contributors and guest authors, includes features such as scholarly reflections, book features, online roundtables and forums, book reviews, and author interviews.
- Don’t Be Fooled!: Learn more about misinformation and media bias using our online subject guide.
- Hate Crime Statistics: Compiled by the FBI and the Department of Justice.
- National Museum of African American History & Culture: The talking about race portal provides resources and support for learning about and having conversations about racial identity.
- Pew Research: Pew’s topic page is a good starting point. Relevant topics include: African Americans, Discrimination & Prejudice, Race & Ethnicity, and Segregation. Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, content analysis and other data-driven social science research without taking policy positions.
- 21 Day Racial Equity Challenge: Every day for 21 days do one activity from the list of provided resources. Or use the resources as needed!
- US Census Bureau: Browse the census bureau’s topic page on race, including data tables.
Join or support local chapters and organizations:
- Town of Chelmsford Diversity, Racial Equity, and Inclusion Committee: The Diversity, Racial Equity, and Inclusion Committee (DREIC) supports Chelmsford’s efforts to become a welcoming town that recognizes diversity, pursues racial equity, and fosters inclusion.
- BLM Local Chapter: Based out of Lowell, MA.
- Chelmsford For Social Justice: A Facebook group to get involved and stay connected. Also view their website.
- Local Black Owned Businesses: List compiled by the Chamber of Commerce.
- Showing Up for Racial Justice: Aims to encourage white people to act as part of a multi-racial majority for justice with passion and accountability. Merrimack Valley chapter located in Lowell, MA.
- Social Justice Book Group: This book group is an informal group that meets at 7 p.m. on the third Tuesday of every month. In addition to book discussions on a variety of social justice related topics, the group hosts speaker programs and presentations themed around the selected book titles.
Join or support national or international organizations:
- Black Lives Matter: Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, Inc. is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.
- Life After Hate: A non-profit group committed to de-radicalization of ideological extremists and helping individuals exit hate groups.
- Race Forward: Race Forward supports advocacy and action on complex racial justice issues by mobilization, skill-building, leadership development, organization- and alliance-building, issue-framing, messaging, and advancing solutions.
Write to your representatives!
Have questions or suggestions? Let us know!