Read To Your Child
- Books we’ve read in storytimes, plus some comments:
Books for Babies – Books for Toddlers – Books for Preschoolers
- Classic Picture Books
A self-guided nature trail with picture book pages along the way, for ages 2 and up. StoryWalk is available dawn to dusk May 1 – Nov 1 and is located at Sunny Meadow Community Garden
- Storytime schedule
- StorytimeTV on Chelmsford Telemedia
Watch staff from the public library and public schools read picture books on The Chelmsford Library’s TV show. Tune into Chelmsford Telemedia every evening at 7:00 pm for stories on the Educational Channels: Comcast 22 or Verizon 36. There are times that live programming may be shown rather than the stories. Tune in again the next evening, or check CTM’s online schedule.
Early Literacy Blog Posts
- Write With Your Child! - When your child presents you with a piece of work with “scribbles,” ask him or her what it says.
- Read With Your Child! - Read books with your child that have rhyme, rhythm, and predictable text.
- Talk With Your Child! - Talk to and with your child during the day. Talk in the car, while waiting in line, during meals, while doing chores, etc.
- Play With Your Child! - Make up a game to go with a book. For example, after reading an alphabet book, go for a walk to find different letters in nature.
Early Literacy Websites
A fun online phonics approach to learning to read
- Every Child Ready To Read
Basis for many literacy practices at the Chelmsford Library
- Reading Rockets
Dedicated to helping parents understand ways to help children learn to read
- US Dept. of Education – Help my Child Read
Educational excellence leads to global competitiveness. Learn many ways of helping children to read.