We have a wide variety of book groups that meet at both the Main Library and MacKay Branch. Drop in when you can or come every month, it is up to you! Enhance your reading experience by discussing it with others!
If you would like to reserve one of our Book Club Kits for your own book group, please visit our Book Club Kits Reservation Form.
Library Book Groups
- Bibliobites Book Group – A Book Group with a culinary focus, meets the last Friday of the month at 11 am.
- Evening Book Group – meets at 7 p.m. usually on the first Monday of each month (with the exception of Monday holidays and summer months)
- Friday Fiction – our bi-monthly reader’s advisory program
- History Book Group – meets at 7 pm usually on the last Thursday of the month
- Morning Book Group – meets at 10 am on the third Wednesday of each month
- Mystery Group at MacKay – meets on the 4th Wednesday of the month at 6:45 pm at the MacKay Branch and discusses any titles by the two authors chosen for that month
- Novel Conversations Book Group – meets the first Friday at 12:30 pm at the Main Library
Teen Book Groups (Entering Grades 5+)
- Beach & Brunch Book Group – Join us on Wednesday, July 19th at 10 AM at the beach at Varney Park for breakfast and to discuss Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan! Register and pick up your book starting May 1st. Please let us know if you have any food allergies and we will accommodate you!
- Bibliobites Teen Book Group – Join on Wednesday, August 16th at 12 PM at the Main Library to discuss Close to Famous by Joan Bauer and make mug cakes! Register and pick up your book starting June 1st.
Recent Reading Room Posts
- Bibliobites in June: Super Summery Supper Salads - Warm sunny days are here, and who wants to spend them standing over a hot stove? Wouldn’t you rather put together a cool, crunchy, savory meal of greens or grains or pasta complemented by a freshly made tangy dressing? Main-dish salads are a (mostly!) quick and delicious solution for hot-weather meals, and our two titles … Continue reading Bibliobites in June: Super Summery Supper Salads
- Henry David Thoreau turns 200! - Henry David Thoreau, one of our most important and treasured local authors, would have been 200 years old on Wednesday July 12. Numerous events and celebrations are taking place in and around Concord to commemorate his life and legacy. His works are always relevant to our understanding of the environment and nature and our role … Continue reading Henry David Thoreau turns 200!
- Staff Picks at the Chelmsford Library - If you’re wondering what to read next, or wandering the aisles wishing someone could just hand you something good, we now have a rotating collection of staff picks for you! The section is comprised of books from many of our collections, read and recommended by our wonderful readers on staff. Here are a few of … Continue reading Staff Picks at the Chelmsford Library
A catalog showing the holdings of most libraries in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. This catalog is free to any MA library cardholder to use to request items be sent to your local library (provided the item is not available in your local library system). Please contact the Reference Staff for help locating or requesting an item.
Lists popular series books in order, and is searchable by character, location, subject, author, and title, to make it easy to find books based on whatever you know about the series.
A database of both fiction and non-fiction books that provides reviews, annotations, you-might-also-like suggestions, author read-alikes, What We’re Reading, book discussion Guides, booktalks, and annotated book lists.
Resources for Discussion Groups
- Book Club Kits available through the Library – To request a Book Club Kit, please contact the Circulation Desk 978-256-5521 x210
Online Book Clubs
- ReadersCircle.org – Online directory for book clubs and reading groups of all kinds, serving the US, Canada, and Australia
- Goodreads – Online community to share book recommendations between friends and keep track of what you’ve read
Book Group Resources
- ALA Book Club Central – Book Club Central is an online resource for book clubs and readers featuring book reviews, author interviews, discussion questions and more, presented through the American Library Association (ALA)
- LitLovers.com – Provides resources for avid readers and book clubs alike including Reading Group Activities, Suggestions for Leading a Book Club Discussion, Guides for How to Start a Children’s Book Club, and Menu Ideas for Starting a Book Club
- The National Book Critics Circle – Founded in 1974 and consisting of 700+ book reviewers, this site elects top books in 5 general categories and also has links to other relevant book review websites
- Bookdaily.com – Read the first chapter of books on this site for free in your email