Consumer Information Databases
This nonprofit website rates local service firms and provides unbiased consumer rating and information on local auto repair shops, home repair services, health care providers, and more.
At Home Patrons: After typing in your library card number, you’ll be prompted to create an account with Consumer Checkbook. You’ll only need to do this once, and it enables to you write reviews for the companies and services listed on their website.
Provides ratings, buying guides, product reviews and consumer information from the experts at Consumer Reports magazine and Consumers Union.
- Consumer Reports Magazine – Current issues are available to check out in the Periodicals Room on the upper level, and current and older issues are in the Reference area
- Boston Consumers’ Checkbook – Current and older issues are in the Reference area
Other Suggested Resources
- Massachusetts Citizen Information Service – Citizen information service links from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Consumer.gov – A consumer-driven organization that collects and distributes detailed customer satisfaction reports on local businesses in more than 150 categories
- Better Business Bureau – Nation-wide organization that voluntarily tracks in a fair way the conduct of businesses, service providers and charities, and provides an online search tool for looking up an organization’s record
- Annual Credit Report (free) – Government-approved Web site where you can get a free credit report from each of the three major credit bureaus once a year. It won’t give you your actual credit score, but most people don’t need it. (The exception: If you’re actively shopping for a loan right now, go to myFICO.com to get your current score — and a report from Equifax or TransUnion — for $16.)
- ConsumerSearch.com – Reviews hundreds of product reviews, analyzes them, distills the information shoppers need and recommends which products are the best
- FurnaceCompare.com – Search and compare air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps, based on consumer reviews from across the web