Featured Online Resources
Find a job, find a person, find a business! A job search, white pages, and mailing list database that searches more than 30 million businesses and executives, 7 million jobs, 220 million residents, and 7.9 million healthcare professionals. Ideal for sales leads, mailing lists, market research, employment opportunities, finding friends and relatives, and much more!
Barron’s Financial Magazine (available in library)
Ask at Reference Desk for login
In-Library Access: https://id.barrons.com/access/pages/barrons/us/login_standalone.html
Provides in-depth analysis and commentary on the markets, updated every business day online. Print edition available in the Newspaper Room.
Integrates news, global viewpoints, reference materials, country information, primary source documents, videos, statistics, and more in a single search with a global perspective.
Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about the 175+ countries around the world. Useful for business travelers, tourists, and students. Topics for each country include society and culture, travel essentials, business culture, communications, traditions, and even includes recipes for ethnic dishes.
Online collection of over 3,000 computer and technical ebooks, covering programming, design, desktop publishing, ecommerce, online business, hardware and more, from publishers such as O’Reilly, Wiley, Pretence Hall, and many more. Browse Safari titles in the catalog.
Please Note: Only 40 people can be using Safari at a time. If the database won’t let you in, please try back later. If access problems persist, please contact the Reference Desk.
Firefox Users: You may be required to delete your browser’s cookie before accessing Safari. To do this, go to Tools > Options > Privacy, and look for the Show Cookies option, then search for and remove the Safari cookie. If access problems persist, please contact the Reference Desk.
Information on all aspects of starting and operating a business, including accounting, finance, human resources, management, marketing, tax, and more. It combines authoritative periodical and reference content to support prospective and current entrepreneurs as well as business students. Experience an easy-to-browse interface mapped to four key stages—plan, fund, start, and manage—to fit your research needs at any point in your business’s development.
Social Law Library (available in library)
Ask at Reference Desk for login
In-Library Access: http://www.socialaw.com/account/librarylogin
Collection of Massachusetts court and state agency decisions from the Social Law Library’s legal research databases; provided by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
A trial subscription (until April 24, 2020) to a variety of investment research databases offered by Value Line. They include the investment survey, fund advisor, supplementary reports, and much more.
Since this is a trial, we’d like to know what you think! Please send any comments about this database – good or bad – to Danny Lykansion at email@example.com.
- Barron’s – Current year only: Periodicals Room
- Banker & Tradesman – Current year only. Reference Desk
- Economist – Current year only: Periodicals Room
- Forbes – Current year only: Periodicals Room
- Kiplingers Personal Finance – Current year only: Periodicals Room
- Money – Current year only: Periodicals Room
- Morningstar ETFInvestor – 6/07-. Reference Area
- Wall Street Journal – Last 2 months. Newspaper Room
- Value Line Investment Survey – Current issues only. Reference Desk
- Value Line Fund Advisor – Current issues only. Reference Desk
Non-Fiction & Reference Books
Business-related print resources are shelved in both the Non-Fiction (available to check out) and Reference (not available to check out) collections, according to the Dewey Decimal System. Our catalog is available for searching, but general topics can also be found by browsing the shelf:
- 174.4 – Business Ethics
- 331 – Human Resources
- 332 – Finance
- 336.2 – Business Income Tax
- 338.9 – Economics
- 346.07 – Business Law
- 657 – Accounting
- 658 – Business Management
- 659 – Advertising
Additional Online Resources
- Boston Public Library’s Kirstein Business Branch – a specialized business reference and research service of the Boston Public Library located in a separate building near Boston’s financial district
- Massachusetts Legal Forms – MA legal forms compiled by the Trial Court Law Libraries
- https://rentallease.com/massachusetts/ – Free MA legal forms, including rental agreements
- Consumer.gov – A government website that helps consumers learn to manage and use money wisely, use credit and loans carefully, and protect your identity and money
- ConsumerFinance.gov – The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is a U.S. government agency that makes sure banks, lenders, and other financial companies treat you fairly
- IRS Tax Withholding Estimator – The IRS suggests that taxpayers check their withholding yearly and make adjustments as needed. The new estimator also facotrs in self-employment and retirement income.
- MA FreeLegalAnswers.org – Anyone who qualifies for this service can ask volunteer attorneys a specific question about your civil legal issue
- Lowell Law Library – Located in the Superior Courthouse at 360 Gorham St. in Lowell (phone 978-452-9301), the law library staff is available to help public Mon-Fri 8:30-4:15. Lowell Law Library is part of the Trial Court Law Libraries of Massachusetts. You cans ee other locations and chat with a law librarian online through their website.
- Civil Legal Aid for Victims of Crime Initiative – CLAVC helps victims of crime throughout Massachusetts with their related civil legal problems — including family law, housing, immigration, disability rights, child welfare, education, consumer, identity theft, employment rights and public benefits.
Resources for Seniors:
- Mass Senior Legal Helpline – (phone: 800-342-5297) The helpline is for people 60 years or older in need of legal help. They provide free legal help and referral services. The helpline is available Mon-Fri from 9AM-12PM.