We have a wide variety of book groups that meet at both the Main Library and MacKay Branch. Drop in when you can or come every month, it is up to you! Enhance your reading experience by discussing it with others! Please contact Jessica FitzHanso (978-256-5521 x1115) with book group questions.
If you would like to reserve one of our Book Club Kits for your own book group, please visit our Book Club Kits Reservation Form.
Please note: during COVID-19, all of our book groups are meeting online. Register on the library’s calendar for access each month. Books for the groups are still available at the Chelmsford Main Circulation Desk.
Library Book Groups
- Brand New! Join the Chelmsford Classics Book Club! This group “meets” on Goodreads to discuss the chosen classic of the month. Each week, we’ll begin a new discussion and members can log in and post their responses. There is no set meeting time, so the group fits perfectly into any schedule!
- Brand New! Social Justice Book Group: This informal book group meets at 7 p.m. on the third Tuesday of every month. In addition to book discussions on a variety of social justice related topics, the group hosts speaker programs and presentations themed around the selected book titles.
- The Knit Lit Book Group – Our newest addition lets you bring your craft projects (knitting, crochet, quilting, felting, etc) and work on them while discussing the latest read! Meets on the second Friday morning of each month at 10:30 a.m. – hope you can join us!
- Bibliobites Book Group – A Book Group with a culinary focus, meets the last Friday of the month at 11 am.
- Evening Book Group – meets at 7 p.m. usually on the first Monday of each month (with the exception of Monday holidays and summer months)
- Friday Fiction – our “book share” reader’s advisory program
- History Book Group – meets at 7 pm usually on the last Thursday of the month – returning February 18, 2021!
- Morning Book Group – meets at 10 am on the third Wednesday of each month
- Mystery Book Group at MacKay – meets on the 4th Wednesday of the month at 2:00 pm at the MacKay Branch – returning February 24, 2021!
- Novel Conversations Book Group – meets the first Friday at 12:30 pm at the Main Library
Recent Reading Room Posts
- New Year, New Books To Share! - If your TBR list needs some new titles for 2021, we have a great list for you! Shared during our first Book Brunch book share meeting, this list is composed of titles to satisfy almost any reading taste, recommended by readers just like you. Browse the list below and click through to place holds. Need … Continue reading New Year, New Books To Share!
- Bookmarked! – Historical Fiction - Here is the latest episode of our reading recommendation show, Bookmarked! To make it safer for all involved during these uncertain times, we filmed the episode via Zoom rather than in the studio. It was not as glamorous, but we were able to properly socially-distance and you don’t have to try to understand us through … Continue reading Bookmarked! – Historical Fiction
- The Real Librarians of Chelmsford - What is the best way to get to know a librarian? By getting them to dish about books, of course! Each month, we will introduce you to one of the librarians of Chelmsford Public Library. This month, we talked to Danny Lykansion, Head of Reference. Danny started at the Chelmsford Public Library in March of … Continue reading The Real Librarians of Chelmsford
Sign up to be notified by text or email when books, movies, and music from your favorite authors and artists are added to the catalog. Log in with your phone number or email address, create as many alerts as you like, and edit or delete them at any time.
A catalog showing the holdings of most libraries in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. This catalog is free to any MA library cardholder to use to request items be sent to your local library (provided the item is not available in your local library system). Please contact the Reference Staff for help locating or requesting an item.
Librarian-selected book recommendations, with documented selection criteria and four recommendation levels. Individual lists cover Children’s books, Graphic Novels, Fiction, Middle & Junior High reading, and Nonfiction titles.
Lists popular series books in order, and is searchable by character, location, subject, author, and title, to make it easy to find books based on whatever you know about the series.
Find up-to-date biographical information, overviews, full-text literary criticism and reviews on nearly 130,000 writers in all disciplines, from all time periods and from around the world The optional MLA International Bibliography module adds citations for hundreds of thousands of books, articles and dissertations from 1926 to the present, linked to full text where available.
A database of both fiction and non-fiction books that provides reviews, annotations, you-might-also-like suggestions, author read-alikes, What We’re Reading, book discussion Guides, booktalks, and annotated book lists.
Resources for Discussion Groups
- Book Club Kits available through the Library – To request a Book Club Kit, please contact the Circulation Desk 978-256-5521 x1210
Online Book Clubs
- ReadersCircle.org – Online directory for book clubs and reading groups of all kinds, serving the US, Canada, and Australia
- Goodreads – Online community to share book recommendations between friends and keep track of what you’ve read
Book Group Resources
- ALA Book Club Central – Book Club Central is an online resource for book clubs and readers featuring book reviews, author interviews, discussion questions and more, presented through the American Library Association (ALA)
- LitLovers.com – Provides resources for avid readers and book clubs alike including Reading Group Activities, Suggestions for Leading a Book Club Discussion, Guides for How to Start a Children’s Book Club, and Menu Ideas for Starting a Book Club
- The National Book Critics Circle – Founded in 1974 and consisting of 700+ book reviewers, this site elects top books in 5 general categories and also has links to other relevant book review websites
- Bookdaily.com – Read the first chapter of books on this site for free in your email