Educational Resources and Websites
Resources and Websites for the Quarantine
- Words Alive! #QuaranTEENS
Activities to help you cope with COVID-19 and learn from the news.
- TeachingBooks Home Edition
Available through September 15, delve into the world of young adult books. Experience read-along performances of favorite titles that are translatable into 100+ languages.
Free online courses. The educational company has launched a “Learn at Home” website that has daily courses for students.
- Breakout EDU Fun @ Home
Access a collection of free educational digital games for kids in grades K-12.
Featured Online Resources
AtoZ Food America
AtoZ Maps Online
AtoZ World Food
Britannica Moderna es Enciclopedia española para estudiantes mayores y educadores. Incluye artículos, imágenes, mapas, tablas, cronologías, así como un completo diccionario y atlas. | Britannica Moderna is a Spanish encyclopedia for older students and educators. It includes articles, images, maps, tables, timelines, as well as a complete dictionary and atlas
Learn a new skill or hobby with 1,000+ award-winning art & craft video classes, taught by recognized design experts and artists. You can also see a list of project videos before logging in.
Driving-Test.org: MA Permit Practice
Free RMV permit practice tests, including 11 car practice tests, 6 motorcycle practice tests, 3 CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) practice tests, 3 online driver’s manuals (car, motorcycle, CDL), and an FAQ section with detailed answers to 100+ DMV-related questions.
Please Note: Driving-Test.org is not affiliated with or evaluated by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles. The official RMV Driver’s Manual is available on their website, along with additional driver’s education information.
Explore the updated online encyclopedia from Encyclopaedia Britannica with hundreds of thousands of articles, biographies, videos, images, and Web sites.
Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Society (Salem History)
Online access to Salem Press’ Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Society, exploring how mathematics affects our daily lives in sociological, economic, and historical perspectives. The Salem History database also searches Encyclopedia of American Immigration, Great Lives from History: Inventors and Inventions, and Milestone Documents in World History.
Gale In Context: Environmental Studies provides comprehensive information via case studies, news, reference materials, academic journals, and videos so learners can critically analyze and understand important environmental issues that affect people around the world. Explore topics including water privatization, ecotourism, pollution, green economy, and more.
Expanded Academic ASAP
Collection of scholarly journals and general interest titles that covers everything from art and literature to economics and the sciences.
Our largest general-interest periodical resource allows you to find the information you want quickly, with intuitive searching that ensures you tap into quality sources.
Global Road Warrior
Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about the 175+ countries around the world. Useful for business travelers, tourists, and students. Topics for each country include society and culture, travel essentials, business culture, communications, traditions, and even includes recipes for ethnic dishes.
Gale Interactive: Science is a highly visual online learning tool that takes visual-spatial learning to the next level by bringing the science lab online. High-value, multi-media digital content selected from authoritative classroom resources is paired with interactive 3D models to deliver a virtual laboratory simulation experience for students in middle school and high school grades.
Libby by Overdrive: Downloadable eAudiobooks & eBooks
eAudiobooks, eBooks, Magazines, and more that you can download and listen to on your computer, your mobile device, or tablet.
Lingo LITE offers basic vocabulary training in 30 different languages, perfect for travelers and beginning language learners. Users can choose both the interface language and the language of study, and the instructional video and audio is presented by native speakers. You can also access Lingo LITE through their app, available in your smart device’s app store for free.
Massachusetts Legal Forms Library
Gale LegalForms: Massachusetts Legal Forms Library offers a wide selection of essential state-specific (and multi-state) legal forms that may be customized for the most common legal procedures. These forms are used by attorneys and law firms. Includes real estate contracts, wills, premarital agreements, bankruptcy, divorce, landlord tenant, and many others.
Niche Academy: Online Learning
Tutorials created by staff in Chelmsford and libraries across the country, focusing on educational topics across a variety of subjects: business, finance, evaluating online information, health, research skills, and more. Click into any tutorial for a step-by-step guide, with text, graphic, and video instructions. We also take suggestions for new tutorials!
Niche Academy: Technology Learning
Tutorials created by staff in Chelmsford and libraries across the country, focusing on technology and research topics. Click into any tutorial for a step-by-step guide, with text, graphic, and video instructions, on topics such as using Microsoft Word, using Instragram, researching your family’s genealogy, buying a new computer, and more. We also take suggestions for new tutorials!
Opposing Viewpoints (Gale In Context)
Provides coverage of topics in today’s news from multiple points of view, to help researchers evaluate topics from different angles. Find information in reference articles, infographics, news, images, video, audio, and more.
Peterson’s Test Prep
Raise your scores and increase your chances of admission with all-inclusive test prep for over 185 exams, including SAT, ACT, and AP tests.
Presents a multi-faceted method (video, audio, games, quizzes, etc) for learning conversational language skills, including grammar and culture lessons, with both online and downloadable learning options. Languages include: French, German, Italian, Spanish (Latin American), Chinese (Mandarin), Japanese, Korean, Hindi, Arabic, English (from Spanish), American Sign Language.
Science In Context
Contextual information on hundreds of today’s most significant science topics, with full-text magazines, academic journals, news articles, experiments, images, videos, audio files and links to vetted websites.
Additional school-related books are available
- The majority of our education-related print resources are located on the EDU shelves, on the lower level next to the Teen Services Desk. Each call number starts with EDU, and ends with the year the book was published:
- Paying for School – EDU/Money
- School Guides & Directories – EDU/Schools
- Test Prep Books – EDU/Test
- Books about the education system are available in the regular non-fiction shelves in the 370s
- Car repair resources are located on the lower level of the Main Library by the Local History Room, on the Car Repair tables
- Career and professional school exam prep books are located on the lower level of the Main Library by the Reference Desk, on the Career tables
Additional Online Resources
- Open Culture – This website is a hub for digital education, with links to thousands of online courses, free movies, free audiobooks, and free textbooks
- edX – This nonprofit, open source platform offers free online courses from college and university partners
- Khan Academy – Primarily video based, free lessons on a variety of subjects
- MIT Open Courseware – Access to hundreds of MIT courses for free, including access to recorded lectures, course materials, and some textbooks
- High School Ace – An academic homepage for high school students where you can find links to subject sites, news, and reference sites
- Study Stack – Find or create flashcards or other study activities for a variety of standardized tests and subjects
- MCAS Test Questions – MA Dept. of Education’s list of tests for the last five years
- MCAS Practice Tests – A place to find numerous MCAS practice tests
- The World Fact Book Online – Facts on every country and geographic entity in the world
- The US Historical Documents Archive – Contains the text of famous speeches, songs, documents, and more
- FactMonster – For fast information!
- Science Experiments for All Around Your Home – from HomeAdvisor