Science & Technology
Featured Online Resources
AtoZ Maps Online
Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Society (Salem History)
Online access to Salem Press’ Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Society, exploring how mathematics affects our daily lives in sociological, economic, and historical perspectives. The Salem History database also searches Encyclopedia of American Immigration, Great Lives from History: Inventors and Inventions, and Milestone Documents in World History.
Gale Interactive: Science is a highly visual online learning tool that takes visual-spatial learning to the next level by bringing the science lab online. High-value, multi-media digital content selected from authoritative classroom resources is paired with interactive 3D models to deliver a virtual laboratory simulation experience for students in middle school and high school grades.
Niche Academy: Online Learning
Tutorials created by staff in Chelmsford and libraries across the country, focusing on educational topics across a variety of subjects: business, finance, evaluating online information, health, research skills, and more. Click into any tutorial for a step-by-step guide, with text, graphic, and video instructions. We also take suggestions for new tutorials!
Niche Academy: Technology Learning
Tutorials created by staff in Chelmsford and libraries across the country, focusing on technology and research topics. Click into any tutorial for a step-by-step guide, with text, graphic, and video instructions, on topics such as using Microsoft Word, using Instragram, researching your family’s genealogy, buying a new computer, and more. We also take suggestions for new tutorials!
College-level science research including 7.3 million full text articles from over 1,600 sources. In full-text format, researchers have access to all the charts, diagrams, graphs, tables, photos, and other graphical elements so vital to scientific and engineering literature.
Science In Context
Contextual information on hundreds of today’s most significant science topics, with full-text magazines, academic journals, news articles, experiments, images, videos, audio files and links to vetted websites.
Additional Suggested Resources
- Citizen Science: An official government website designed to accelerate the use of crowdsourcing and citizen science across the U.S. government. The site provides a portal to a catalog of federally supported citizen science projects and a toolkit to assist federal practitioners among other resources.
- TED-Ed – Educational lessons built around TED talks
- Code Academy – Learn to code, interactively, for free online
- NASA Pubspace – Easy public access to peer-reviewed papers resulting from NASA-funded research. Full-text and available online
- Science Matters – A scientific journal publishing peer-reviewed research from a variety of fields that makes all published content, including raw data, publicly available
- eLife – An open-access journal that publishes promising research in the life and biomedical science fields
- Frontiers – A community-rooted, open access research publisher
- The Feynman Lectures on Physics – These famous lectures are available for free online.
- Science Daily – ScienceDaily features breaking news about the latest discoveries in science, health, the environment, technology, and more — from leading universities, scientific journals, and research organizations.
- Sci Starter: Their mission is to help bring together the millions of citizen scientists in the world; the thousands of potential projects offered by researchers, organizations, and companies; and the resources, products, and services that enable citizens to pursue and enjoy these activities.
- TechBoomers – Free articles that teach people how to use technology to make their lives easier (and more fun!)
- Goodwill Community Foundation LearnFree – Self-paced tutorials for learning Everyday Life skills, Basic Math, Computer Programs, Mobile Apps, Reading, and much more
- San Jose Public Library Virtual Privacy lab – Resources selected by librarians to help patrons stay safe and protect their privacy online