Featured Online Resources
This nonprofit website rates local service firms and provides unbiased consumer rating and information on local auto repair shops, home repair services, health care providers, and more.
At Home Patrons: After typing in your library card number, you’ll be prompted to create an account with Consumer Checkbook. You’ll only need to do this once, and it enables to you write reviews for the companies and services listed on their website.
Provides ratings, buying guides, product reviews and consumer information from the experts at Consumer Reports magazine and Consumers Union.
Social Law Library (available in library)
Ask at Reference Desk for login
In-Library Access: http://www.socialaw.com/account/librarylogin
Collection of Massachusetts court and state agency decisions from the Social Law Library’s legal research databases; provided by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
- Consumer Reports Magazine – Current issues are available to check out in the Periodicals Room on the upper level, and current and older issues are in the Reference area
- Boston Consumers’ Checkbook – Current and older issues are in the Reference area
- NADA Guide – Price guide for used cars, published by the National Automobile Dealers Association – current issues are at the Reference area
- Seniors Blue Book – resource guide for Assisted Living, Home Health, Non-Medical, Hospice, Skilled Nursing, Alzheimer’s, Events, Activities
Additional Online Resources
- Massachusetts Citizen Information Service – Citizen information service links from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Consumer.gov – A government website that helps consumers learn to manage and use money wisely, use credit and loans carefully, and protect your identity and money
- Consumer Product Safety Commission – Information on product recalls, safety hazards, statistics, regulations, and laws
- Better Business Bureau – Nation-wide organization that voluntarily tracks in a fair way the conduct of businesses, service providers and charities, and provides an online search tool for looking up an organization’s record
- Annual Credit Report (free) – Government-approved Web site where you can get a free credit report from each of the three major credit bureaus once a year. It won’t give you your actual credit score, but most people don’t need it. (The exception: If you’re actively shopping for a loan right now, go to myFICO.com to get your current score — and a report from Equifax or TransUnion — for $16.)
- ConsumerSearch.com – Reviews hundreds of product reviews, analyzes them, distills the information shoppers need and recommends which products are the best
- NADAguides.com – Searchable price guide for used cars, published by the National Automobile Dealers Association
- Kelley Blue Book – Searchable price guide for used cars
- FurnaceCompare.com – Search and compare air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps, based on consumer reviews from across the web