One Book Chelmsford is a community-wide reading program encouraging all residents to read a selected title and attend programming related to the book. The title is selected each Fall and the Library provides free copies to share. Programs start early in the year at the Winterfest kickoff event in February and include a visit from the author (whenever possible).
One Book 2018: The Nightingale
The Nightingale, by NYT best-selling author Kristin Hannah
The 2018 One Book Chelmsford selection features female characters finding the strength within themselves to survive the upheaval and horrors of occupied France during WWII.
Copies of the book were available at the library beginning January 2nd. The program series features inspiring stories from women of all walks of life. One Book kicked off at Chelmsford Winterfest on Friday, February 2nd, and additional programs are scheduled throughout February.
We hope you attended our big event on Friday night, February 9th, 2018, a visit with Kristin Hannah, author of The Nightingale. She was interviewed by award-winning journalist and crime fiction author Hank Phillippi Ryan about the book and also her new novel, The Great Alone. This event was at the CHS Performing Arts Center. Check out the link below to watch a video of the conversation.
Upcoming One Book Events
This year, the One Book programs are funded by:
Past One Book Selections
- 2017: “Stronger Than You Think”: Stronger, by Jeff Bauman
- 2016 “Keeping Chelmsford in Suspense!”: The Columbus affair by Steve Berry, The Other Woman by Hank Phillippi Ryan, and There was an Old Woman by Hallie Ephron
- 2015: The Sandcastle Girls, by Chris Bohjalian
- 2014: The Art Forger, by B. A. Shapiro
- 2013: Townie, by Andre Dubus III
- 2012: March, by Geraldine Brooks, and Confederates in the Attic, by Tony Horwitz
- 2011: Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
- 2010: Shutter Island, by Dennis Lehane
- 2009: Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortenson
- 2008: To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
- 2007: Empire Falls, by Richard Russo