Featured Online Resources
With thousands of international recipes, hundreds of fascinating culture and ingredient articles, and essential culinary resources, AtoZ World Food brings international cuisines to you, from Albanian byrek to Zimbabwean matemba! Recipes can be printed, emailed, or saved to your account for later.
Comprehensive consumer health resource that provides authoritative information on the full range of health-related issues, from current disease and disorder information to in-depth coverage of alternative medical practices, and includes full-text medical journals, magazines, reference works, multimedia, and much more.
Full text of nursing and allied health journals, plus the wide variety of personal health information sources, intended for informational purposes only.
Online access to Salem Press’ Magill’s Medical Guide. It is an up-to-date and easy-to-use compendium of medical information for student researchers, patients and caregivers, covering diseases, disorders, treatments, procedures, specialties, anatomy, biology, and issues in an A-Z format.
Online access to Salem Press’ Psychology & Mental Health, covering notable theories, people, social issues, life stages, the physiology and anatomy of the nervous system, and diagnoses, disorders, treatments, tests, for various mental illnesses or conditions, all in a simple, easy to use A-Z format.
Improve your skills with 500+ self-paced courses, with topics ranging from accounting, history, finance, web development, homeschooling, crafts, test preparation, career training, science, mathematics, and much more. You can learn a new hobby, improve your resume, or earn CEUs and Certificates. Create an account with your library card to log in on future visits.
Health-related print resources are shelved according to the Dewey Decimal System. Our catalog is available for searching, but general topics can also be found by browsing the shelf:
- 610 – Medical Sciences General
- 611 – Human Anatomy
- 612 – Human Physiology
- 613 – Promotion of Health
- 614 – Forensic Medicine
- 615 – Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- 616 – Diseases
- 617 – Adult Medicine and Surgery
- 618 – Gynecology, Childbirth and Pediatrics
- 619 – Experimental Medicine and Research
Additional Mental Health and Crisis Resources
- Crisis Text Line – Free, nationwide, 24/7 text message service for people in crisis: text HOME to 741741 in the US
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255 – 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 800.656.HOPE – Free, confidential, 24/7 trained support specialists who are ready to help
- Lahey Health Behavioral Services – Provides individual and group therapy for mental health and substance use issues; addiction treatment; family services; mobile crisis teams for behavioral and substance-related emergencies; inpatient psychiatric care, plus home and school-based programs for children and teens
- The Helpline – Free and confidential statewide, public resource for finding substance use treatment and recovery services
- National Eating Disorders Association – The largest nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting individuals and families affected by eating disorders
- Learn to Cope – Non-profit support network for parents and family members coping with a loved one addicted to opiates or other drugs
Additional Online Resources
General Health Information:
- Medline Plus – Information about diseases, conditions, and wellness issues in language consumers can understand
- PubMed Health – Information for consumers and clinicians on prevention and treatment of diseases and conditions
- Skinsight – Insight from experts about treating and caring for your skin. Includes a rash and skin condition finder
- HealthReach – National collaborative with multilingual, multicultural public health information for those working with or providing care to individuals with limited English proficiency
Prescriptions and Medications:
- Merck Manual Consumer – Detailed and informative prescription resource
- Prescribers’ Digital Reference – Trusted information on health knowledge products and services that support prescribing decisions and patient adherence to improve health
- Web Poison Control – Online tool that helps determine if a substance is poisonous and how to respond
- Pill Identifier – Look up pills by color, shape, imprints, or brand name
- UCLA Health Guided Meditations – For a free introduction to mindfulness meditation that you can practice on your own, stream or download the guided meditations recorded by UCLA MARC’s Director of Mindfulness Education, Diana Winston.
- Chelmsford Board of Health’s Facebook Page – Follow the BoH on Facebook and learn about upcoming events
- FDA Consumer Health Information – Replacing the FDA’s print publication, FDA Consumer, this website is the Food and Drug Administration’s source for consumer health and safety information
- MASeniorCare.org – Information on senior care resources in Massachusetts, including a facility finder
- Massachusetts Certified Assisted Living Residences – List of certified assisted-living facilities in MA, from the Executive Office of Elder Affairs
- MA Board of Registration in Medicine – Physician Profiles, including education, training, and experience of all licensed MA physicians
- National Institutes of Health – Health information for the public, scientists, researchers, medical professionals, patients, educators, and students
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Information on diseases and conditions, healthy living, travelers’ health, disaster preparedness, and more