There were two recent changes to the research databases provided by the Chelmsford Library:
New Historical Newspaper Database
The library has just signed up with the Access NewspaperARCHIVE database, which provides access to over 2000 newspapers from all over the world. Some of the newspapers date back to the 1700s, which means this is a great resource for students and others looking for primary sources.
This database is accessible from within the library only, and patrons can browse by location, date, or newspaper title. What you’ll find are the front pages of most major and many minor newspapers, just like they appeared when they were originally published.
All of the newspapers are saved as PDF files, and require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them. And like other PDFs, they can be easily printed, saved or emailed.
New Interface for NewsBank Newspapers
The NewsBank databases (Chelmsford Independent, Lowell Sun, New York Times) have a brand new interface designed to significantly enhance the searching experience. A few of the improvements allow patrons to more easily:
- refine searches for more relevant returns
- limit searches by article word count to filter out news briefs and minor articles
- refine results and pinpoint articles by title, date, source type and geographic location
- display topic and events results over time
- print, email or cite articles with an improved toolbox
For help using either of these databases, or for questions on any of the resources offered by the Chelmsford Library, please contact the Reference Desk.