for a 9-inch quiche, serving 6
- 2 Tbs minced shallots or scallions
- 2 Tbs butter
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, stemmed, washed, blanched, and chopped
- Seasonings: salt freshly ground pepper, and nutmeg
- The custard: 3 “large” eggs blended with enough milk or cream to make 1 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup lightly pressed down, grated Swiss cheese
- 9-inch prebaked shell
The spinach. Preheat the oven to 375F. Saute the shallots or scallions briefly in the butter, add the spinach; still over heat until tender. Season, let cool, and blend into the custard.
Filling and baking the quiche. Reserving 2 tablespoons of the cheese, strew the rest in the shell, Pour in the spinach-custard up to 1/4 inch of the rim. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
Bake 35 minutes until puffed and brown.
Taken from the Julia Child cookbook “The Way to Cook” and recommended by Lisa.