2 large carrots, julienned
2-3 julienned green onions
½ sweet red pepper julienned
1/3 cup thinly sliced napa cabbage (or substitute iceberg lettuce)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup mince fresh cilantro (or to taste)
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 (3 ounce) package dried bean thread noodles
16 rice paper, rounds softened (8-inch, see note)
1/8 cup slivered fresh Thai basil or 1/8 cup fresh mint
1 Tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil or ¼ cup soy sauce
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
½ teaspoon hot sesame oil (I would omit rather than buy for 1 recipe)
½ teaspoon minced garlic
1 pinch sugar
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, green onions, cabbage, olive oil, cilantro, salt and pepper
- Let marinate at room temp for 10 minutes, stirring frequently
- Meanwhile, place the noodles in a medium bowl.
- Cover noodles with boiling water and soak 10 minutes, or until noodles are softened
- Drain well and snip into 2-inch pieces and set aside
- To soften rice-paper rounds, fill large bowl with warm water and dip each rice-paper round in water for 10 seconds or until softened and translucent
- Remove and let drain on a clean dish towel (Do not stack as they will stick together)
- Place about 2 Tablespoons of the noodles and 2 Tablespoons of the vegetable mixture about 1 inch from the lower edge of the rice paper round
- Sprinkle with basil/mint leaves
- Fold the bottom edge over the filling; fold in both sides and roll tightly. Press to seal.
- Place on plate, seam side down, cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 10 minutes
- Two quick sauces: in small bowl combine soy sauce and sesame sauce.
- Or combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, peanut oil, hot sesame oil, garlic and sugar.
Shared by Carole