2 ounces rice vermicelli
8 rice wrappers (8.5 inch diameter)
8 large cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut in half –optional for vegetarian spring rolls
1 1/3 Tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
(or use 2 whole fresh Thai basil or mint leaves on top of filling)
2 leaves lettuce, chopped
4 teaspoons fish sauce (or soy sauce)
¼ cup eater
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons white sugar
½ teaspoon garlic chili sauce
3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon finely chopped peanuts
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Boil rice vermicelli 3-5 minutes, until al dente and drain.
- Fill large bowl with warm water. Dip one wrapper into water for 1 second to soften.
- Lay wrapper flat. In a row across the center, place 2 shrimp halves (if using), a handful of vermicelli, basil, mint, cilantro and lettuce, leaving about 2 inches uncovered on each side. Fold uncovered sides inward, and then tightly roll the wrapper, beginning at the end with the lettuce. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, water, lime juice, garlic, sugar and chili sauce
- In another small bowl, mix the hoisin sauce and peanuts. ( or use crunchy peanut butter and hoisin sauce, thinned with a few splashes of water if too thick)
- Serve spring rolls with the fish sauce and hoisin sauce mixtures.
NOTE: In addition to ingredients listed you can add or substitute: shredded carrots, long thinly sliced pieces or cucumber, sprouts or other fresh vegetables of your choice.
Hoison peanut Sauce
½ cup hoisin sauce
2 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter
2 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon rice or white vinegar
Crushed roasted peanuts for garnish (optional) – use as garnish
Bring to boil over moderately high heat, then immediately remove from heat. Transfer to bowl.
submitted by Carole.