Tax Forms & Help

Tax Forms

Massachusetts and Federal tax forms are available in the library. We receive the MA Department of Revenue’s Form 1 for both Residents and Non-Residents, and Federal forms as part of the IRS’ Tax Form Outlet Program. As such, we are entirely reliant on them for the availability of tax forms.

If we do not have copies of the form you need, our Reference Staff can print them for you. We will print one copy of each tax form at no charge, and the cost for additional copies, or for instructions, is $0.15 per page. Forms and instructions are available online:

Free Tax Assistance

NOTE: Appointments at CPL for 2023 tax returns are currently full. We recommend contacting these sites for tax assistance:

Bedford Council on Aging (has appointments in March and April)
12 Mudge Way, Bedford

Billerica Public Library
15 Concord Rd, Billerica

North Andover Senior Center (few appts. left in March)
481 Sutton St., North Andover

Tyngsboro Public Library
25 Bryant Lane, Tyngsboro

The Burlington Community Financial Center (VITA):

Bentley University (VITA):

NH VITA tax prep sites (please double-check that the volunteers are able to handle your MA state return):

Rodgers Memorial Library, 194 Derry Road, Hudson (VITA)
3-Feb – 15-Apr (closed 19-Feb)
M 9:15AM – 1:45PM
Sa 9:30AM – 11:45AM
Appointments: 603-886-6030 (Reference Desk)
Questions: 603-886-6030

Hudson Senior Center, 19 Kimball Hill Road
2-Feb – 5-Apr (closed 19-Feb)
F 9:30AM – 11:30AM
Appointments: 603-578-3929
Questions: 603-578-3929

John O’Leary Adult Community Center
4 Church Street, Merrimack (Tax-Aide)
F 9-Feb – 12-Apr
W 13-Mar, 20-Mar, 27-Mar, 3-Apr, 10-Apr
9:00AM – 11:00AM

portal also works for Nashua (PL, Senior Center, United Way), Salem (HS, Centerpoint Comm. Church, Senior Center)

Each year, an AARP Tax-Aide volunteer tax consultant will be available at the main library to offer free tax assistance. Please contact the Reference Department at 978-256-5521 x1211 to make an appointment. We hope to have 2024 volunteer schedules available soon. You can also see other AARP Tax Aide sites nearby.

Please bring the following with you when you come:
  • copy of last year’s income tax return(s) and supporting documentation
  • W-2 and W-2p forms from each employer, if you earned a salary
  • all receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions
  • all 1099 forms showing interest and/or dividends and original purchase price of sold assets, including:
    • 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-misc., etc.
    • SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits
    • 1099R form from the payer of your pension or annuity
  • all forms indicating federal income tax paid
  • child care provider information (name, employer, ID, Social Security number)
  • Social Security numbers for all dependents
  • unemployment compensation statements